Juwan began dancing at the age of 15 at Cedar Ridge High School in Round Rock, TX. He was awarded the Senior Hip-Hop Scholarship at the Texas Association of Teachers Dancing Inc. convention in June 2012. He began serious study of ballet at Dancers Workshop in Austin, TX. In 2013, he attended American Ballet Theatre’s Summer Intensive on scholarship. He then attended the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in 2014, where he performed in ballets by Sir Frederick Ashton, George Balanchine, Susan Jaffe, and Ethan Stiefel. Currently, he serves as a Professional Mentor for Texas Future Dance Educators, Guest Faculty for the UNC School of the Arts Preparatory Dance Program, and a freelance master teacher/coach. Since joining Charlotte Ballet in 2015, he has performed in ballets by Ohad Naharin, Dwight Rhoden, Alonzo King, Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux, Sasha Janes, David Ingram, and Mark Diamond.
- Hometown: Round Rock, TX
- Dancing Since: Age 15
- Seasons with Charlotte Ballet: 3
- Favorite thing about Charlotte: I love how vibrant the city is. It’s my first time living in a metro-type area, so I’m very excited to explore all that Charlotte has to offer
- Favorite vacation spot: The Bahamas were pretty great, but I want to continue exploring to find that one extra special place
- As a professional dancer he wants to improve: My clarity and precision. Remembering to breathe as well as being more patient with myself.
- Advice for aspiring dancers: “Don’t give up, no matter how hard it gets. Keep an open mind, and don’t be afraid to say yes.”
- Also: ” Life is what you make it. So let’s make it rock!” – Hannah Montana