Are you ready for audition season? Take it from us- our company dancers have been through many auditions in their careers, and they want to share their tips with YOU to make sure you rock your audition!
Juwan began dancing at the age of 15 at Cedar Ridge High School in Round Rock, TX. He was awarded the Senior Hip-Hop Scholarship at the Texas Association of Teachers Dancing Inc. convention in June 2012. He began serious study of ballet at Dancers Workshop in Austin, TX. In 2013, he attended American Ballet Theatre’s Summer Intensive on scholarship. He then attended the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in 2014, where he performed in ballets by Sir Frederick Ashton, George Balanchine, Susan Jaffe, and Ethan Stiefel. Currently, he serves as a Professional Mentor for Texas Future Dance Educators, Guest Faculty for the UNC School of the Arts Preparatory Dance Program, and a freelance master teacher/coach. Since joining Charlotte Ballet in 2015, he has performed in ballets by Ohad Naharin, Dwight Rhoden, Alonzo King, Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux, Sasha Janes, David Ingram, and Mark Diamond.
- Hometown: Round Rock, TX
- Dancing Since: Age 15
- Seasons with Charlotte Ballet: 3
- Favorite thing about Charlotte: I love how vibrant the city is. It’s my first time living in a metro-type area, so I’m very excited to explore all that Charlotte has to offer
- Favorite vacation spot: The Bahamas were pretty great, but I want to continue exploring to find that one extra special place
- As a professional dancer he wants to improve: My clarity and precision. Remembering to breathe as well as being more patient with myself.
- Advice for aspiring dancers: “Don’t give up, no matter how hard it gets. Keep an open mind, and don’t be afraid to say yes.”
- Also: ” Life is what you make it. So let’s make it rock!” – Hannah Montana
1. Treat it like a normal class
Drew Grant | 2nd Season
“Don’t be late and make sure to pick appropriate attire. Remind yourself that it’s just class, the same you take everyday, enjoy it!”
Lexi Johnson | 2nd Season
“When you go into the audition, try to let go of your nervous energy and treat it like a normal technique class. Try your best to relax, stay focused and show the teacher how much you enjoy dancing. No matter the outcome, the experience of auditioning teaches you a lot, so it’s rewarding either way!”
3. Dress to impress and show your confidence
Sarah Hayes Harkins | 10th Season
“Don’t be afraid to register early and get up front!! Wear something noticeable and pretty in your hair, but also don’t over do it. Pay close attention to details of the combinations, do it exactly how it is demonstrated to the best of your ability.”
Elizabeth Truell | 3rd Season
“Dress to make yourself feel confident and beautiful. You should go in the front and don’t be afraid to show yourself. Most importantly, just enjoy dancing and show them your passion.”
Sarah Lapointe | 3rd Season
“Always present yourself as well put together and organized. This will show your professional attitude and bring an impeccable look to every audition you attend!”