Raven, from Bronx, NY, began dancing at age 10 at Ballet Tech, the New York City Public School for Dance. She furthered her training at the Fiorello H. LaGuardia Arts High School for Music and Art and Performing Arts, where she graduated with honors. While at LaGuardia, Raven also attended the Dance Theatre of Harlem’s (DTH) Pre- Professional Program as a scholarship student and performed with DTH’s Dancing Through Barriers Ensemble. While at DTH, Raven was selected as a featured dancer for the Scholastic Children’s book, “Beautiful Ballerina” by Marilyn Nelson. During the summer of 2013 and 2014, Raven received the honor of performing choreography by Tony Award winner George Faison for the NYC SummerStage Performance Series. In 2015, Raven graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BFA in Dance with a concentration in ballet from SUNY Purchase. In the summer of 2015, Raven appeared on NBC’s annual “Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular.” She has performed works by George Balanchine, Aszure Barton, DaVon Doane, George Faison, Eliot Feld, Robert Garland, Sasha Janes, Bill T. Jones, Jiří Kylián, Jessica Lang, Arthur Mitchell, Matthew Neenan, Dwight Rhoden, Taryn Russell, Bettijane Sills and Deborah Wingert.
- Hometown: Bronx, NY
- Dancing Since: Age 10
- Seasons with Charlotte Ballet: 3
- Favorite ballet movements: My favorite movements are grand jeté and tour jeté
- If she weren’t dancing she’d be: A mathematician/computer scientist
- Her most exciting dance moment: When I performed my first ballet solo during the release of the Scholastic Children’s book “Beautiful Ballerina”. As I danced, actress Lynn Whitfield read the words from the book
- Advice for aspiring dancers: “Continue to reach for your goals and never settle for less. No matter how hard it gets remember that you’re dancing because you love it.”