Shaina, from Sussex County, NJ, started dancing at age 8 at Branchville Dance Centre. Shaina has attended summer intensives at The Nutmeg Ballet Conservatory, North Carolina Dance Theatre, Chautauqua Institution, Houston Ballet, Boston Ballet, and The Joffrey Ballet School. At age 13, Shaina was invited by Ethan Stiefel to attend the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. When she returned to New York, she joined The Joffrey Ballet School as a trainee, and a year later was invited to join the Joffrey Ballet Concert Group under the direction of Davis Robertson. She has performed principal roles in various ballets, including Balanchine’s Serenade and Valse Fantaisie, and Gerald Arpino’s Birthday Variations, Light Rain, Kettentanz, Suite Saint-Saens and Viva Vivaldi. Shaina has had the opportunity to perform at the Florence Dance Festival in Florence Italy and The 60 anniversary of the Beijing Dance Academy.
- Hometown: Sussex County, NJ
- Dancing Since: Age 8
- Seasons with Charlotte Ballet: 3
- Favorite choreographer: Gerald Arvpino
- What “powers” you as a dancer? What gives you the motivation to work harder or inspires you to make the hard work look effortless? The support I have from friends and family is what powers me as a dancer. I’m also very inspired by the other dancers around me. I feel as though I can always learn something from them.
- What do you think audiences will be excited for this upcoming season? I think audiences should be excited for everything that we’re performing this season. Hope has done an amazing job with bringing in choreographers and new works that the people of Charlotte should be looking forward to with every performance series.
- Advice for aspiring dancers: Keep persevering and working towards your goals. Things might not go as planned and you may be full of doubts, but that is when you learn the most about yourself. Stay open minded and humble.